Up until the moment I started thinking about what I wanted to do for a choreographic proposal back in September I have been alone, so to speak.
I stood alone in my creative and choreographic thoughts...I stood alone in rehearsal for pieces of mine...I stood alone on the performance space.
But, the moment I decided to start writing my proposal for PCDP (Professional Choreographic Development Project) I knew that I wanted to work with more than one bodies in space.
This was the challenge I wanted to take up.
However, until fairly recently the process had to begin with me being alone in mind and space to extend the choreographic intention and allow it to acquire form in body movement. Not as a rigid and strict structure, but as a framework within which I wanted to place all the bodies and evolve from that point onwards.

Before getting into the studio with the rest of the dancers, I did not know what to expect; neither from them nor myself! Yet, this sense of unexpectedness is what I find appealing in art and, more specifically, in dance. I don't like the movement to be anticipated by anyone, not even myself. I just throw in my ideas, concepts, thoughts, intentions and impulses and start building up from them and from the dancers. I see, observe and listen. The way the same concept or idea might be perceived and interpreted by a different mind and body is just mindblowing. It reaffirms the uniqueness each individual carries with her/him. And the movement that is created then is coming truly from the inside out. It almost like the concept in the film Inception: you 'plant' a thought, a seed, that starts growing and you have the opportunity to witness that growth and translation into movement.
Personally, I am a firm believer and supporter of each dancer's unique qay of movement and perception and I really enjoy researching and working on the different perceptions of ideas and interpretations on the movenent. This way, no two dancers can be and look the same, feel the same, and perform the same.
And although, I do want to throw in moments of unison and accumulation and mix up my pieces, I want to show what distinguishes us from one another in terms of movement. No two bodies are the same as no two minds are alike. I can't of you to do exactly as I do as you cannot ask that of me. Obviously, we do see that a lot in dance where there are numerous choreographers who want their dancers to be what they ahve envisioned them to be. But this does not necessarily mean that they can be like that or that their bodies can extend to that imagination. In my mind, I see a constant dialogue between the choreographer and the dancer. There has to be communication between these two entities because otherwise you might lose the essence of what body movement is all about.
Based on these thoughts I am proceeding now in unraveling the layers of not one, but three bodies, and then attempt to tie them together.
###


Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια:
Δημοσίευση σχολίου